|[Please circulate this position]|
The University of Twente seeks a PhD candidate in
Self Energy-Supporting Autonomous Computation (SENSATION)
The University of Twente has an open PhD position in the SENSATION project
on Self Energy-Supporting Autonomous Computation. SENSATION is funded by the
European Commission FP7. The research activities in Twente are carried out by
- Formal Methods & Tools (FMT), led by Prof.dr. Jaco van de Pol, and
- Computer Architecture for Embedded Systems (CAES), led by Prof.dr.ir. Gerard Smit.
This PhD position will be located in FMT and supervised by Dr. Mariëlle Stoelinga.
The research project.
SENSATION aims at increasing the scale of systems that are self-supporting
by balancing energy harvesting and consumption up to the level of complete
products. In order to build such Energy Centric Systems, embedded system
designers face the quest for optimal performance within acceptable
reliability and tight energy bounds.
SENSATION will support the system design process by devising energy-centric
modeling and optimization tools for the design of resource-optimal reliable
systems. SENSATION aims at automated analysis and synthesis tools for
energy-centric systems, by integrating energy analysis into tools for
optimizing performance and reliability. Based on efficient model-checking
algorithms and massive design space exploration, this leads to a many-fold
increase in system design productivity and a reduction of energy consumption.
Three industrial partners, GomSpace, Recore Systems, and STMicroelectronics
provide challenging case studies and serve as industrial testbeds.
For more information about the project, see:
We seek a PhD candidate with the following profile:
- an MSc degree in Computer Science (or an equivalent qualification)
- thorough theoretical background in formal methods
- demonstrable interest in modeling industrial case studies
- affinity with software tool development
- good communication and collaboration skills
Your tasks will be:
- to help extending performance and dependability evaluation methods with
energy consumption analysis, in collaboration with our academic partners,
- to develop high-performance analysis algorithms and tools,
- to carry out the modeling and analysis of industrial case studies in
cooperation with our industrial partners
- to publish the research results through reports, papers and presentations
- to write a PhD thesis within 4 years
The University of Twente offers:
- An exciting scientific environment
- A PhD position for four years (38 hrs/week), full status as employee
- Gross salary ranging from EUR 2042 (1st year) to EUR 2612 (4th year) per
month, plus holiday allowance (8%) and end-of-year bonus (8.3%).
- Good secondary conditions, including pension and health care benefits.
- Excellent facilities for professional and personal development.
- A green and lively campus with lots of sports facilities.
The PhD students will participate in the Twente Graduate School on
Dependable and Secure Computing, led by prof.dr. Jaco van de Pol. This
research programme offers advanced courses to deepen your scientific
knowledge. Participation in national and/or international summer schools,
conferences and workshops, as well as visits to other prestigious research
institutes and universities are also foreseen.
Starting date: as soon as possible after October 1, 2012
(pending final approval by the EU)
- FMT group: http://fmt.cs.utwente.nl/
- Dr. Mariëlle Stoelinga (marielle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
- Prof. dr. Jaco van de Pol (vdpol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
- Prof. dr. ir. Gerard Smit (G.J.M.Smit@xxxxxxxxxx)
To apply for this position, please include
- a cover letter (explain your specific interest and qualifications);
- a full Curriculum Vitae
- a list of all courses + grades, and a short description of your MSc thesis project
- references (contact information) of two scientific staff members
Please submit your application via http://www.utwente.nl/vacatures/en/
before September 1st, 2012.