[PVS] CFP: Practical Applications of Stochastic Modelling (PASM 2008)

The Third International Workshop on Practical Applications of Stochastic Modelling (PASM 2008)
http://homepages.cs.ncl.ac.uk/nigel.thomas/PASM08.htm
Palma de Mallorca, Spain.
Tuesday 23rd September 2008
(Official EPEW 2008 workshop)

Papers will be published in a special issue of Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science (Elsevier).

Paper submission deadline: 11th July 2008
Notification to authors: 18th August 2008
Camera-ready deadline: 8th September 2008 (HARD DEADLINE)
Workshop: 23rd September 2008
CRC deadline for ENTCS proceedings: 23rd October 2008

Outline:
We encourage papers which apply current well-developed formalisms (stochastic Petri nets, stochastic process algebras, layered queueing networks, etc) to real-world case-studies. These studies might be of traditional web-service, Grid or computer architectures but also we strongly encourage studies from inter-disciplinary collaborations, such as biological and physical systems.

The common link is to see how researchers from diverse fields have overcome the problem of modelling large concurrent and stochastic communicating systems to obtain the particular style of stochastic metric that is important to their field.

Successful contributions may have demonstrated some novel theoretic advance to model their system or will have been diligent in constructing a detailed and realistic stochastic or probabilistic model and carried the modelling through to the analysis phase. Extra credit will be given for models which are backed up by experiment or simulation.

The aim is to end up with a collection of papers which could be used as outstanding examples of modelling practice in the field of stochastic modelling and exhibit all phases of the modelling lifecycle.

Some suggested topics on which we would encourage submission, are listed below. This is by no means an exhaustive list and any paper in the general area of the conference scope would be warmly welcomed.

Case-study analysis using stochastic paradigms and novel analytic variations on those paradigms to enable better practical analysis, e.g.:
stochastic process algebras
stochastic Petri nets
layered queueing networks
stochastic automata networks
queueing networks
fluid stochastic Petri nets
stochastic ambient calculus
Specific interdisciplinary topics that we would be particularly interested to hear from include application of systematic probabilistic or stochastic analysis techniques to, for instance:
biological/epidemiological models
models of computer virus/worm infection
spatial modelling of chemical/nuclear reactions
decision making, planning and scheduling
geophysical models of large dynamical systems: e.g. weather/ocean systems, lava flows
Stochastic and probabilistic models from computing areas such as:
power consumption/conservation
computer security
web-services and Grid
distributed and fault-tolerant systems