asynchronous message passing examples?

As part of my research in the verification of fault-tolerant protocols
I would like to verify a few things in the "asynchronous" message
passing system model.  In this model, a finite set of processes
communicate by sending messages and there is no bound on the time it
takes for a message to travel and for a process to take a step.

I was wondering whether anybody has formalized algorithms in this
setting using PVS before?  Pointers to related work would be
very helpful.

Cheers

Felix
--