[PVS-Help] Installation problem: cmulisp-local-source-directory notset

I have installed the PVS 4.2 CMU Lisp binaries from
<http://pvs.csl.sri.com/download-open/pvs-4.2-ix86-Linux-cmulisp.tgz>
according to the instructions, i.e. untared into a new directory and ran
bin/relocate. If I now run ./pvs to start PVS, emacs starts up, displays
"cmulisp-local-source-directory not set" and hangs, so that I have to
kill it.

Did I make an error during installation or is it a bug? How can I fix this?

I am using Ubuntu 8.10 and GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
Version 2.14.1).

Any help is appreciated.
--
Christian Henkel