[PVS-Help] Can PVS keep and change state variables

Title: Can PVS keep and change state variables

I am just starting to use PVS for a graduate thesis and am unsure of how or even if it is possible to have state variables.  I realize the beauty of functional languages is to not have state, but it is necessary for my research.  For example, is it possible to have a variable x that can call a function to increment it and increase its value so that later the variable can be checked to have been increased?

Much Thanks,

Mitchell Hirschfeld

smime.p7s