[PVS-Help] how use Carbon emacs with pvs4 on Mac

I used DarwinPorts to install Carbon emacs-22 on an Intel Macbook and
emacs/AuCTeX/etc work just fine.  I installed the PVS4 pre-built
Allegro binary for Mac/Intel.  But I can't get it work with emacs.
I thought I'd just need to give the path to the emacs executable, as in:

   ./pvs -emacs /usr/local/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacs

But I get errors about directories that indeed don't exist:

-----------
Warning: arch-dependent data dir
(/Volumes/Emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/libexec/emacs/22.0.50/i386-apple-darwin8.7.1/)
does not exist.
Warning: arch-independent data dir
(/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/share/emacs/22.0.50/etc/) does
not exist.
emacs: standard input is not a tty

I'm a Mac newbie with no time to tinker, so it would be fine with me if
someone can suggest an alternate emacs that's easily installed, will work
with PVS and AuCTeX, and is integrated enough with Carbon/Aqua to do
cut-and-paste.

thanks,
dave