"assertion itheory failed" error

I have a bunch of theories that typecheck all by themselves okay. However,
when I import them in another theory, I get a message "Error: the
assertion itheory failed." I am not sure whether this is something that I
could fix on my part, and wanted to confirm this. There wasn't any follow
up on the list after Sam Owre's reply to Marieke Huisman, dated 12 Feb
2002, and my situation seems similar. Additionally, PVS says that one of
the theories is ambiguous.

Thanks,

-V

PS: pvs-3.1, Redhat Linux 9,
*pvs*
:bt gives

Error: the assertion itheory failed.
  [condition type: simple-error]

Restart actions (select using :continue):
 0: retry assertion.
 1: Return to Top Level (an "abort" restart).
 2: Abort entirely from this process.
[1] pvs(16): ;;;
; Fast