Re: Garbage collection

Marcelo ---

Controlling garbage collection in Allegro lisp is not a simple matter.  We
intend to fine tune the gc parameters on the next release, but this takes
a lot of work and is not at all intuitive (there are about 20 different
variables that control various aspects of garbage collection).  If you
would like to try, we can provide information on Allegro's gc commands or
you can find some of the information on Franz Inc's web site at
http://www.franz.com/.

You noted that your process is using swap.  Garbage collection (in
general, any application) will run much faster if you can put more
physical memory on your machine, particularly under Linux/Intel which
doesn't do memory management all that well.  I think you will get much
more gain through this than trying to alter the gc behavior.

Hope that helps

Dave

---
Dr Dave Stringer-Calvert, Software Engineer, Computer Science Laboratory
SRI International, 333 Ravenswood Avenue, Menlo Park, CA 94025-3493, USA
Phone: (650) 859-3291 Fax: (650) 859-2844 David.Stringer-Calvert@sri.com