A couple of configuration questions

Hello folks,

  Before even getting off the ground with PVS, I am confronted with
some basic problems:

  1. It doesn't seem to work with modern Xemacses.  Version 20.x
     appears to be out of the question, and the latest 19.x (19.16)
     doesn't work either.  (I get "wrong-number-of-arguments" errors
     every time I try to do anything.)  Is this expected, or is my
     environment messed up in some way?
  2. I don't get any reply from the mail server when I send mail to
     pvs-request.  I tried a "subscribe" and a "help" message---no
     reply to either.

  Help!

TIA,
Luke Blanshard